Historic Fort Steuben was built in 1786
by the First American Regiment for the
protection of surveyors who had been
sent by the Continental Congress to map
the Northwest Territory. At this time the
Indians in the area were hostile.
The site was selected as most desirable for a
military defense since it was bounded on the east
by the Ohio River and lay on a slope of land that
was uniform and drained toward the river with hills
to the west which formed a natural amphitheater
around the perimeter. It was on this site that
Captain John Francis Hamtramck of the First American
Regiment built a small blockhouse for the protection of
his provisions while he and his men constructed the fort.
By February 1787, Hamtramck and his men had completed
construction of the fort and named it after Friedrich Wilhelm
von Steuben, a Prussian army officer who had ably assisted
General Washington in the Revolutionary War. The town
that subsequently developed on the site still carries his name.
Two hundred years later, the non-profit Old Fort Steuben
Project, Inc. was formed to reproduce the fort on its
original site and to offer historical and educational
Today, the reconstructed Fort Steuben is open to the public.
The blockhouses for the enlisted men, the officers’ quarters,
the quartermaster and the artificer’s shops, the guardhouse,
the hospital andthe commissary depict the daily life of the
men who helped open up the new territories to settlement.
Historic Fort Steuben now includes a park with the Veterans Memorial Fountain and a Visitors
Center which houses a Museum Shop and Exhibition Hall. The Louis Berkman Amphitheater is now
complete and offers concerts and other programs. From May through October, the Fort hosts tours,
school field trips, and special programs. Contact us for more information on any of these events:
The First Federal Land Office of the Northwest Territory is
located adjacent to Historic Fort Steuben. This is the original
structure and houses antiques as well as documents that
were part of the early history of Ohio. A tour of the Land
Office is included in your visit to Historic Fort Steuben.
|Veterans Memorial Fountain surrounded by
Memorial Bricks. Click HERE to purchase a brick.