Welcome to Historic Fort Steuben

Historic Fort Steuben, located in Steubenville, Ohio, originally was constructed in 1786-87 to provide protection from Indians for the first surveyors to venture into the Northwest Territory. Occupied for only eight months, the fort was gone by 1790 as early settlers established the town of Steubenville.

Two hundred years later, the non-profit Old Fort Steuben Project, Inc. was formed to reproduce the fort on its original site and to offer historical and educational programs. Now Historic Fort Steuben is one of only two fully reconstructed forts in Ohio and is open to the public. The buildings that make up the fort include blockhouses for the enlisted men, officers’ quarters, quartermaster and commissary’s shops, guardhouse, hospital and artificer (blacksmith) and depict the daily life of the men who helped open up new territories to settlement. The site also includes the original First Federal Land Office west of the Alleghenies.

In addition, Historic Fort Steuben encompasses a park with the Veterans Memorial Fountain and a Visitor Center which houses a Museum Shop and Exhibition Hall. The Louis Berkman Amphitheater offers concerts and other programs.

Historic Fort Steuben is open from May through October, M-F from 10-4, Saturday from 10-4, Sunday from 11-4. The Fort Steuben Visitor Center and Museum Shop are open all year, M-F, from 10-4, except Christmas - New Year's and other holidays. Admission prices are: Adults, $5; Youth 6-12, $3; Under 6, free. We offer special rates for schools and tour groups with reservations. Conferences, reunions, and organizations may rent facilities at Historic Fort Steuben for meetings and special events. The Berkman Amphitheater is available for concerts and cultural programs. Contact us for more information by calling 740-283-1787 or emailing info@oldfortsteuben.com.

...Read More